Is Stalking a Felony Charge?

Stalking in North Carolina is a serious crime that can be charged at both the misdemeanor and felony levels. Generally, an arrest for stalking can trigger a forty-eight-hour hold in custody and is viewed by many district attorneys’ offices as an offense to be vigorously prosecuted. At Greenwood Law, we have the experience and the ability to navigate the consequences of any person charged with stalking in North Carolina and we will zealously advocate for you throughout the entire process.

Charged With Stalking In North Carolina?

Stalking in North Carolina is defined as willfully, on more than one occasion, harassing another person or willfully engaging in a course of conduct directed at a person that causes a person to fear for his or her safety or the safety of a family member or suffer substantial, emotional distress by being placed in fear of death, bodily injury, or continued harassment. Stalking in North Carolina is a Class A1 Misdemeanor, but it also can be charged as a felony if a person has a prior stalking conviction or if there is a court order in place prohibiting stalking.

If you are charged with stalking, it is imperative to hire an experienced attorney in order to defend you and to avoid potential consequences. The attorneys at Greenwood Law are very capable of handling every aspect of a case involving stalking and we will guide you every step of the way.

Fighting For Defendant’s Rights Throughout North Carolina

These are serious charges. You have the right to a lawyer, such as one at Greenwood Law who knows how to present cases to district attorneys and to the Court. You also have the right to a fair trial, and you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. If you are facing stalking charges in Winston-Salem, throughout Forsyth County or elsewhere in the Triad, contact our law firm, Greenwood Law by calling 336-661-8788. Schedule your free initial consultation over the phone or by using this online contact form. Remember: The best offense starts with a good defense. Call today to start protecting your rights immediately.