Contributing To The Delinquency Of A Minor

Do not let the legal system paint you as a villain. Contact Greenwood Law for help from an aggressive, criminal defense lawyer in North Carolina.

Aggressively Defending Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor Charges

Contributing to the delinquency of a minor is a misdemeanor, criminal offense in North Carolina. Many circumstances can constitute contributing to the delinquency of a minor, including:

  • Leaving a child unattended in a car;
  • Allowing minors to use illicit drugs or alcohol in your presence;
  • Having a minor assist you in the commission of a crime;
  • Allowing a minor to drive a vehicle without a driver’s license or learner’s permit; and
  • Supplying alcohol to an individual who is underage, even if he or she is just a few years younger than you. This in particular can have serious criminal penalties, which may include time behind bars

This offense is easy to commit without even realizing it.

What is the Punishment for Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor?

In North Carolina, contributing to the delinquency of a minor is a Class 1 Misdemeanor, which is punishable by 1-120 days of active, intermediate or community punishment. Criminal fines are determined by the Court. Significant criminal charges and collateral consequences are also at stake. Depending on the circumstances, you could face charges relating to reckless endangerment or injury to a child. If the minor is your child and you have shared custody, your custody and/or visitation could be affected as well. In addition, you will walk away with a criminal record that could affect your future employment or education opportunities.

If alcohol is involved, the parents of the minor could also file a lawsuit against you in civil court, depending on the circumstances of the incident. This means you also could be held financially accountable for supplying the minor with alcohol.

Consult with a North Carolina Criminal Defense Attorney Today

If you are charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor in Winston-Salem or the surrounding areas, your first order of business should be to find the best lawyer that you can possibly hire. You need a lawyer with experience defending these charges, someone who will fight for your rights. Contact our law firm, Greenwood Law, by calling 336-661-8788. Schedule your free initial consultation over the phone or by using this online contact form.